Having been in the fragrance and beauty industry for over 20 years you’d be forgiven for thinking I have fragrance buying down to a fine art. Faced with the vast sea of fragrances that greet you in every department store and Duty Free I defy even the most hardened perfumista to not run away and […]
Alberto Morillas, perfumer for Firmenich and creator of many best sellers including CKOne takes us behind the scenes to share the process of an industry perfumer. Including a look at “the robo place” My job is to create dreams – Alberto Morillas
The Chypre fragrance category was derived from materials that were traditionally found on the island of Cyprus (Chypre in French) – for many centuries a hub for the trade in aromatic materials. In 1917 Francois Coty, originally from Corsica created a fragrance based on Bergamot, Oakmoss, Labdanum, Jasmine and animalic musks named Le Chypre which […]
In business we often feel obliged to say yes to every opportunity that comes our way. Regardless of how we feel about doing it or whether it is in alignment with our values we sometimes feel like we’ll miss out if we don’t say yes. Marie Forleo of BSchool and Marie TV calls it “getting […]
There are many types of fragrance you can create easily with natural materials but to create a perfume that smells like the crashing of waves and the fresh blast of the ocean is a challenge. Many natural perfumers use seaweed absolute but this is quite pungent and can tend to smell dirty rather than the […]
The fougere fragrance family is one that gets it’s name from an actual fragrance, that of Fougere Royale (Royal Fern) created in 1882 by Paul Parquet; chief perfumer at Houbigant. Fougere Royale was originally sold as a toilet soap and was a fantasy accord in that it was created to evoke the smell of a […]
We are halfway through the Perfumersworld 5 day course here in London and the students are really getting stuck in creating their first fragrances. One of the questions Steve asked everyone on their first day was: “How long does it take to become a perfumer?” Of course the answers from the group varied and I’d […]
I often get asked what materials to buy as a starter kit for beginning perfumery and although there are many companies who do kits I’d suggest that you don’t go all out and buy everything right away. Perfumery is an expensive business and I know only too well that you can buy lots of things […]
I today’s post I made a quick video to help you navigate the IFRA standards when making perfume to sell in the E.U. I’ve included some great tools to make it easier for you.
I always get asked lots of questions about the terms Top, Mid and Base notes in perfumery as they cause a lot of confusion in modern perfumery. It was much simpler in the old days when perfumers were creating in a classic pyramid structure and not using the vast quantities of “linear” aroma chemicals they […]
Sign Up To My Mailing List
- Karen Gilbert said Unfortunately essential oils do not have a strong...
- Rudolphine said Thank you very much for this information. I was ju...
- Make, Do, Mend: DIY Milk Bath | Lifestyle, Craft, Music and DIY said This year i bought Karen Gilbert’s lovely and acce...
- Karen Gilbert said Hi Mac, I do have an online course that you can do...
- Karen Gilbert said That’s great Angie – glad you like the
- The Art and Technology of Perfumery Workshop 27. May, 2015
- Who Really Made Your Perfume….. 13. Jun, 2012
- Creating a Moisturiser for Oily or Combination Skin 30. Jul, 2012
- The Cost Of Perfume Part 2 – Packaging 29. Jan, 2014
- Self Sufficiency Courses Come To Bermondsey Fayre 10. Sep, 2010
- Choosing A Perfume You Won’t Regret 30. Nov, 2015
- Perfumer Alberto Morillas 24. Nov, 2015
- Chypre Fragrances 17. Nov, 2015
- Learning To Say No – Lady Gaga Style 10. Nov, 2015
- Marine Notes in Perfume 03. Nov, 2015
- Karen Gilbert: Unfortunately essential oils do not have a strong ...
- Rudolphine: Thank you very much for this information. I was ju...
- Karen Gilbert: Hi Mac, I do have an online course that you can do...
- Karen Gilbert: That's great Angie - glad you like them...
- Mac: Hi Karen, I just wanted to say that I had always ...