Today I want to share something that happened at the Artisan Perfumery Weekend which will hopefully give you the encouragement to get going and create your own fragrances. Sometimes we think we don’t know enough and it stops us from moving forward with confidence. One of the students on the weekend class who is also […]
Today I was thinking about where this whole perfumery business fits into an increasingly uncertain world. It doesn’t matter where you look or what country you live in, there is some seriously unsettling stuff going on. At times like this I’m often prone to thinking “what’s the point of writing about making perfume?” “Surely I […]
A key part of many oriental fragrances, especially those marketed as masculine scents, woody notes are favourites of mine. One of my earliest scent memories is of my grandad’s shed – he loved carpentry and made some amazing things for us as kids. Although he tried to teach me, woodwork wasn’t really my forte as […]
In today’s post I want to address the 3 questions I get asked the most. They are: “How do I get into the fragrance industry?” “I want to be a perfumer, where do I start?” “Will your course make me a qualified perfumer?” The answer to all of them is “it depends” so I’ll try […]
One of the things that frustrates me about the perfume industry is the belief that using 100% natural materials is not “proper perfumery” I remember working for a big fragrance company in the 1990’s when all the supermarkets were launching “aromatherapy” lines and becoming so disillusioned I wanted to quit. I wanted to quit because […]
Do you ever get that feeling when you are full of ideas and creative energy but you get stuck because you have some bits of knowledge missing? You know how you want it to be but no matter how hard you try you just can’t get it to work. It’s frustrating, I know! I have […]
They can be overpowering or subtle and sexy and definitely add depth and dimension to rich floral or oriental perfumes. What we call animalic notes are not everyone’s cup of tea though! Nowadays we are more likely to use synthetic replacements than actual materials from animals for the obvious reasons and often there are a […]
Perfumery Workshop, UK July 2017 Read my review HERE The Art and Technology of Perfumery Perfumery Course and Workshop Date: 17th – 21st July 2017 Venue: tbc Cost: £850 I am really excited to be hosting this workshop in the UK for Stephen and the Perfumer’s World Team for the 6th year running! Read more […]
Oriental fragrances recall the rich warmth of resins and balsams and spices from the east. They can be ambery with notes of labdanum and vanilla, edible with notes of chocolate and foodie accords or exotic and spicy with floral notes. They are warm, rich and sensual, often seen as evening or winter fragrances.
Having been in the fragrance and beauty industry for over 20 years you’d be forgiven for thinking I have fragrance buying down to a fine art. Faced with the vast sea of fragrances that greet you in every department store and Duty Free I defy even the most hardened perfumista to not run away and […]
Sign Up To My Mailing List
- Karen Gilbert said Hi Victoria You can try hyaluronic acid. It comes...
- Karen Gilbert said Hi Julie As it is added to the water phase you nee...
- Victoria said Hi Karen, I love your book and I´m slowly working...
- Julie said I’m just loving the ‘Natural Beauty...
- Karen Gilbert said So glad you like it Anna
- The Art and Technology of Perfumery Workshop 14. Jan, 2016
- Who Really Made Your Perfume….. 13. Jun, 2012
- Creating a Moisturiser for Oily or Combination Skin 30. Jul, 2012
- The Cost Of Perfume Part 2 – Packaging 29. Jan, 2014
- Self Sufficiency Courses Come To Bermondsey Fayre 10. Sep, 2010
- What I learned at IFF about creating fragrance for products 22. Aug, 2016
- Should You Make Your Own Perfume or Hire a Perfumer? 27. Jul, 2016
- Creating Feelgood Fragrances 11. Jul, 2016
- Woody Notes in Perfume 03. May, 2016
- I want to be a Perfumer – Getting into the Fragrance Industry 25. Apr, 2016
- Karen Gilbert: Hi Victoria You can try hyaluronic acid. It comes ...
- Karen Gilbert: Hi Julie As it is added to the water phase you nee...
- Victoria: Hi Karen, I love your book and I´m slowly working...
- Julie: I'm just loving the 'Natural Beauty' book and woul...
- Karen Gilbert: So glad you like it Anna :-)...