I had a question on my Instagram this week about The Artisan Perfumery Immersion that comes up quite a bit, so I thought I’d address it here for anyone else who has the same question.
“Is the 3 days in person course an equivalent to the online course? They’re both the same price but I’m trying to understand the main differences”
This was my short answer on Instagram and I’ll expand a bit more on each below:
“The Artisan Perfumery Immersion in person class is a practical 3 days of perfume making at my studio. The Artisan Perfumery Mastermind is a longer term online programme with access to ongoing support and Q&A in the Facebook group. They are both quite different and complimentary to each other. Many people start with online then come to a class and others come to a class first before joining online.”
What is the Artisan Perfumery Immersion?
The Artisan Perfumery Immersion is A 3-day practical perfumery course that will take you from idea to finished fragrance. It’s the perfect class for all budding artisan perfumers no matter what your experience level. The class is delivered in person at my studio here in the New Forest and we spend a whole day on each of the 3 most important areas of scent making. Here’s what we’ll be delving into:
The Key Materials Of Perfumery. Whilst many people who come to my classes want to focus on naturals, we will also look at the aromachemicals and isolates too. We have a palette of 60 materials to smell through and experiment with and whilst I suggest beginners stick with these, I have many more in my lab that you are free to use if you’re a bit more advanced
Accords creation. Whilst we cover some perfume theory, this 3-day class is not you listening to me talk – it’s about hands on practical making. We start with accords (the fundamental building blocks of perfume) so you can walk away with a mini library of your own building blocks to experiment with after the class is over. The more time you spend creating accords the more you will learn about how your materials interact and work with each other. During this practical hands-on day, you will be making lots of accords. You will be bottling and recording your weighed formula so you will leave with a collection to use in future fragrances.
Fragrance Construction. Once you’ve got to grips with creating accords, we will spend the final day blending them together to create a first draft of a finished fragrance (or 2)
This could be a brand-new project or something you have been working on that you need help with. You will leave the day with 1 or 2 perfumes (depending on how far you get) and their formula plus the knowledge to keep creating when you get home.
This class covers both naturals and synthetic materials, and it is up to you which you choose to use. This class is suitable for all levels as it is mostly practical, and the level of difficulty will be determined by you and what you choose to work on. The group size is small (max 8 people) which means lots of 1 to 1 help. For current dates and booking info see the page here: The Artisan Perfumery Immersion
This class is a great accompaniment to The Artisan Perfumery Mastermind
What is the Artisan Perfumery Mastermind?
The Artisan Perfumery Mastermind, my best-selling online perfumery training that has helped independent artisan perfumers worldwide to get started, become more confident in their perfumery skills, and launch their own perfumes.
The programme is 6 modules and accompanying workbooks and resources (plus extra bonus courses) that cover the fundamentals of perfumery using both natural materials and professional perfumery aromachemicals, isolates and perfumers bases. Whether you choose just naturals or mixed media, it is up to you. The modules cover everything you need to know, including…
- Train Your Nose Like a Pro, so you can smell like a true perfumer and craft stunning scents every time.
- Using Natural Materials, so you can evaluate your perfume basics and create the very best fragrances.
- Fragrance Classification 101, so you can understand fragrance families to create gorgeous combinations.
- Building Accords, so you can have a firm grasp of the building blocks that make a great perfume.
- Creating a Finished Fragrance, so you can follow the process from concept to brief and have a stunning finished fragrance ready to make a profit.
- Products and Safety Regulations, so you can understand the legal requirements and safely sell your products with peace of mind.
In addition to the main modules you will also get access to a bundle of masterclasses that will take your perfumery skills to the next level:
- Mindset Magic: This special mindset training has helped many past students get over, imposter syndrome, procrastination, perfectionism and all the other sneaky things our brain does to trip us up and stop us getting our creations out into the world.
- The Scent Design Challenge: This is my 5-part scent design training that will help you plan every scent idea you have and turn it into a detailed mind map that will guide your scent creation process.
- Setting Up Your Home Perfume Studio: This mini course and ebook will give you all the resources and equipment you need to set up your space at home. It also comes with a set of video demonstrations on diluting different types of materials when setting up your perfumer’s organ.
- Fragrances For Skincare Masterclass: This course will expand on the principles of creating fragrances for bases other than perfumers alcohol such as creams, lotions, and detergents. I will also show you how to professionally evaluate a perfume in you finished product packaging.
- Exploring Accords Masterclass: This Masterclass expands on the theory of accords creation with a practical demo of the different methods that can be used to create accords including A floral accord using the Jean Carles method and an amber accord using the simplified method.
- Linear Fragrances Masterclass: This masterclass is all about linear fragrances which started with the famous Grojsman accord. We look at how these types of fragrances are constructed including a marine accord plus a practical demonstration.
- Fragrance Construction Masterclass: In this masterclass we delve into the different methods for constructing a fragrance with a practical demonstration of creating a fougere fragrance.
You can find out more and join here: The Artisan Perfumery Mastermind
The main course content is delivered over a 3-month period and all content is yours to keep and refer back to as many times as you wish.
The mastermind comes with the bonus of one year’s access (there will be the option to renew access after the first year) to a private Facebook group where I run live monthly Q&A sessions. This is the only online professional perfumery course I currently offer that comes with access to live help from me. The Facebook group is an invaluable extra resource for students all over the globe with many experienced members staying active in the group for many years.
So which course should you choose?
Ideally (if you can travel and have the budget) both!
There is only so much we can cover in a 3 day in person course and the focus is on practical hands on making rather than in depth theory and we obviously can’t do practical hands on perfume making online so the two are designed to work together as well as standalone courses.
The Artisan Perfumery Mastermind is where the bulk of the theory is and contains video tutorials that you can rewatch time and time again. The Artisan Perfumery Immersion is where the practical perfume making happens with my help in my studio and where you can smell materials and start creating your finished perfume projects under my guidance. You do not have to complete the mastermind before coming on a practical course as we cover enough theory to get you going. You also do not need to do a practical course before joining the mastermind as you can go at your own pace.
So the question to ask yourself is: “do I want a hands on practical class?” or “do I want ongoing in depth training?” or “do I want both?”